It’s only natural when you start a business to turn to your friends and family for recommendations for an Accountant on the Gold Coast – especially because there are so many out there! But between recommendations, Google and your own research, hiring a Gold Coast accountant and knowing which is right for you can be challenging.
With over 25 years’ experience in public practice, we’ve come up with the 4 things to consider when choosing a gold coast accounting firm.
- Your business-to-business connection
- Skillsets, references, and experience
- Processes and support
- Value vs Price
Your Business-to-Business Connection
The first step to finding the right accountant for you is how you connect with the accountant and their team. They must understand your needs and similarly, for you to understand how they can help your business thrive.
Make a list of all the tasks and responsibilities that you want your accounting firm to handle for you and then compare this list with what each firm offers. This will ensure that you have a good relationship with them from the get-go, which will lead to getting the best service on offer and the most out of your business relationship.
Accountants are not just accountants. They can be your business asset and help you grow your company by providing advice and expertise in a wide range of areas including taxation, bookkeeping, payroll, business advisory services, cash flow management, and more.
Skillsets, References, and Experience
Once you have determined your needs, make sure that the firms that you are considering all meet these requirements before interviewing them further. This will save time and make sure that there are no surprises later down the line regarding what they can offer or not offer.
It is important for accountants to have the right skills, experience, and services to help you now and in the future. They need to be able to provide a wide range of services including tax, audit, bookkeeping, and financial advice.
Your Gold Coast accountant should specialise in accounting services committed to providing professional advice and quality service that will meet your individual needs. Do not be afraid to ask for references or case studies.
Consider these questions:
- What kind of accounting software do they use, and does it align with what your business currently uses or needs?
- What are your goals for using an accountant and can this person or firm fulfill that?
- Are there any unique circumstances they need to be aware of? Do they have the correct skillsets to handle if any?
Processes and Support
When it comes to choosing the right Gold Coast accountant for your business, having a clear understanding of what support will look like and their procedures will empower you to choose the right fit.
Ensure the accountant is clear regarding the process and support procedures. Their role is expected to make sure that the business is compliant with all laws and regulations, as well as help with taxes, auditing, and other financial report and this should come through within your communication.
To get a clearer understanding of what values and support services are given, gain an understanding of the following:
- How long has the firm been established and what state does it appear to be in? It is natural for all businesses to evolve and implement changes, yet any structural changes could potentially impact their delivery of services and attention to detail.
- How has their communication been to date? If they have remained consistent and attentive throughout, this should set precedent for how they will communicate within your working contract together.
- Have they got references and testimonials? Seeing real-life case studies helps to solidify the rapport and trust that the accounting firm will follow through with its promise.
Value vs Price
As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. This is especially true when it comes to Accountants on the Gold Coast. When you’re looking for an accountant, it’s important to consider more than just the price. Make sure you also consider the ROI (return on investment). A good accountant can save you money by helping you to avoid costly mistakes, but a great accountant will also help you to make money by helping you to take advantage of opportunities and tax breaks.
So, when you’re looking for an accountant, make sure you consider the ROI. It may cost you a little more upfront, but it will be worth it in the long run.
While there are many factors to consider when choosing an accountant. The most important thing is to find someone whom you can trust and who has the experience and expertise to help you grow your business.
If you are looking for a Gold Coast accountant to help with your business, we can help. We offer a 15-minute discovery session call to find out if and how we can help you, and then we offer a complimentary tax review. To get started, click here.